So maybe you won’t be making travel plans to any tropical paradise or top tourist destination this year, but if you’re just dying to get out of town, road trips offer quality time with friends or family while seeing large chunks of this great nation.
And since we all know that riding in the car for hours on end can become tedious, we’ve pulled together some of our favorite things to do to help pass the time.
1. Take photos. Be sure to keep that Instagram feed updated. It will be fun to look back on everything you did while out on the open road.
2. Document your trip. Instagram and Facebook also come in handy for this. If you’re more of a pen-and-paper sort of person, purchase a new journal before your trip to keep track of your adventures.
3. Listen to a podcast or an audiobook.
4. Make a special playlist. Be sure to make it an upbeat mix to help you stay awake during any late-night driving. Don’t have time to pick and choose before the trip? Check out Spotify, Pandora or Apple Music for pre-made playlists.
5. Get out and do something active. Stretch, find a nearby playground, run in circles, play Simon Says for a couple of minutes — anything to get the wiggles out before loading back up in the car.
6. Take your own food and eat a picnic. Eating out on the road can get expensive, so pack some sandwiches, chips and bottled drinks to enjoy along the way. Let each person pick a favorite snack to bring along, as well.
7. Enjoy the moment. Put down your phone and look around. You’ve got hours of uninterrupted time so fill them with deep conversations. Part of the fun in taking a road trip is enjoying the journey, not just the destination.
8. Sleep. A personal favorite pastime, napping helps you fast forward through a few hours. Just make sure you’re not the driver.
9. Play a car game. Come up with your own or check out our list of favorites.
10. Take a detour. This is what road trips are all about. Check out the world’s largest fire hydrant in Beaumont or the world’s largest pecan in Sequin.
Check out this list of car games that will keep you entertained for hours.
Name that Tune
Open up a popular playlist on your favorite music-streaming app, and be the first person to identify a song by listening to the first few seconds.
Truth or Dare
This classic game can be confined to within the car or take place during stops.
Pick a category, such as fruits and vegetables or movie titles, and each person must name an item from that category. If you can’t think of one, you’re out!
Would You Rather?
Ask questions that pose a serious dilemma, like, “Would you rather win the lottery or live twice as long?”
Two Truths and a Lie
Come up with two things that are true about yourself and one lie. Have your car-mates decide what is fact and what is fiction.
Guess That Quote
Recite lines from your favorite movie or television series and have the other passengers guess where they came from.
The Alphabet Game
Look out the window and find words on signs, billboards or businesses that start with the letter A, then B and so on. You cannot pick the same word as your traveling companion. See who can get through the entire alphabet first.